Friday 22 November 2013

Not All Markets Are the Same

Mixed feeling analysing my portfolio today. I know that my entry points have not been excellent in the past for Singapore stocks. Of course over the past several years, my timing has improved. My failure to have proper exit strategy in the past has haunted me and I still hold on to my biggest losses, namely Hyflux (30% loss) and ChinaGaoxian (still 67% loss after they re-enlisted into the exchange). Those two are the main culprits. Otherwise excluding them average loss is 8%. I'm not that worried as almost 65% is allocated to REITS giving me 7% returns on average. REITs on average are not performing well. Gonna get my rights issue+access @ $1 for Ascott REIT soon, so might bring my losses down slightly.

Anyway the reason for this post is to share an interesting point here. How come SGX is lagging while the rest of the world is moving towards new highs? I really dont understand. Thank GOD, I have spread or "diversified" my portfolio to stay invested in US, Japan, HK/China as well.

(*I didnt take into account dividends)

As you can see almost 60% is parked in Singapore. Most of them are in the red but only slightly, this year end rally will help me to exit some positions with profit + dividends. As for NYSE/NASDAQ, holding mainly consumer/defensive stocks like KO and MDLZ with decent returns of 20%. 

Best performing market for me is still the chinese stocks, timing was good, entry was just after the bottoming out after 3 years of sluggish growth in China. However i wish i had put more into chinese stocks. Mainly holding BYD Intl and China Insurance. 

A good lesson here is to stay diversified then only you can lower your risk.  


No comments:

Post a Comment