Friday 22 March 2013

A look at ExxonMobil



Previously I talked a little about commodity stocks. I came across this rather interesting article on Seekingalpha.com, which prompted me to share this information with my readers.
I have been long on Oil and Gas for some time but stayed out because it was too expensive, but the 2008 market crash gave me an opportunity to get into ExxonMobil (XOM).
Anyways the original author of the article has some very interesting graphs on energy demand and population growth predictions till 2040. See below graph 1-World energy Consumption and graph 2- World population growth:

Graph 1: World Energy Consumption



Graph 2: World population growth




There is a huge correlation and we have a reason to be bullish about companies such as ExxonMobil who are extracting and supplying these commodities. Over the last 100 years, world population has increased 7 times, and it is headed towards 9 Billion by 2040. Although I may not agree totally with this figure, I still agree that population is headed higher. 

Side note: I still remember while I was studying a Sustainable Engineering module in University, world population is expected to hit 10 Billion by 2030 then start declining. This is unsustainable, because Earth’s resources cannot continue to support such a large population; famine, draught, disease and war will eventually reduce population growth to a negative.
Back to topic, ExxonMobil published their 2013 Energy Outlook , which predicts 9 billion people by 2040 for some reason. Energy demand is going to increase exponentially because of two main drivers:
  1. Population growth
  2. Per Capita consumption growth
For a long term investor, it’s a clear cut decision to get on the bandwagon without worrying about day to day price fluctuations. However I suggest valuating energy companies such as ExxonMobil before taking any positions. I value XOM @ $94 currently but actually wouldn’t pay $90/share right now. It’s not worth the risk for me. I would rather wait and see if I can get in @ below $65/share.
Anyway WHY EXXONMOBIL? The original author also shared these graphs below comparing shareholder distributions among energy companies:

Graph 3: Comparison of Shartholder distributions



Graph 4: Distribution yield of ExxonMobil




ExxonMobil has a whopping! distribution yield of 7% over the past 5 years. Keeping in mind increasing energy demand over the next 30 years, and relative stability of XOM as a company makes it a good investment of choice. Just look at their historical chart below:


Very rarely does it drop tremendously low. in fact it has been trading in a parallel line since 1960s. I would suggest taking advantage of every market crash and accumulating its stocks over time. But of course, dont take my word for it...do your own research first. :)


Original Article by DevonShire can be found at address below:
http://seekingalpha.com/article/1293481-exxon-mobil-sports-a-juicy-and-reliable-total-distribution-yield-over-7

Disclaimer: I have a small position in ExxonMobil (XOM) and right now I am adopting a “hold and see” attitude. However I have no plans to initiate any positions within the next 72 hrs and highly recommend you do your own research to determine your own suitable entry and exit positions.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you that XOM is a great long term hold and buy. To buy XOM at $65 is a little too ambitious, though I would like it to happen. XOM at $65 would equivalent to a horrible market crash, which by the time all other stocks looks relatively cheaper as well.

    I hv been long on SLB recently as a play to oil and energy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, best recent opportunity to pick XOM below $65 was in July,2010. Agree with you that it seems ambitious right now. Following the parallel channel, will need to adjust entry target higher.
    SLB is a great pick, i was looking at their chart. Interesting, its in a general uptrend but undergoes bigger swings. Hope you picked it up @ around $40.

    ReplyDelete